MontagueTerraceInBlue
I’m a bit puzzled at the way this is being reported.
Player agrees terms before clubs agree a fee.
Doesn’t it normally work the other way around?

Very rarely.
MontagueTerraceInBlue
I’m a bit puzzled at the way this is being reported.
Player agrees terms before clubs agree a fee.
Doesn’t it normally work the other way around?

Why would the clubs even bother negotiating if they know the player isn't interested?
Gazball?
Agent would hear about Atalanta being interested so he’d speak to JJ to hear his opinion. If JJ is interested his agent would let Atalanta know.
Atalanta would then contact us and ask if he’s available/ball park figure. If values are close then they’d be allowed to speak to JJ directly to discuss terms.

That’s how I assume it works anyway.
Rab C Nesbitt
Unless you choose to do so in a lump sum as it may work out cheaper and benefits both.
Not sure that would benefit us though

In this case it'd make sense to keep paying him, it's incredibly unlikely he doesn't get another job in the next couple of years.

It's better to spread out the payments, rather than give a lump sum. That's quite obvious, but it isn't financially prudent to pay 3 managers, at the same time. (is Bowyer still on the books?)

Paying off surplus managers and their coaches means that they tie up wages that could've been spent on players and that money has to come in from somewhere.
08:00, Thu 4 Jan
I'm really surprised that a lower/mid-table Prem club hasn't gazumped Atalanta yet. Buying JJ for under £10m must be tempting for quite a few clubs (Palace, Forest, etc).
08:12, Thu 4 Jan
Maybe because he’s only had about 7 decent games, under Rooney or for Wales and was sub for most of his time under JE.
Maybe some potential there but for £4m we should snap their hands off.
08:17, Thu 4 Jan
TrickyBlue
Personal terms agreed. €5m plus addons

Sauce?
Up the feckin Blues
08:25, Thu 4 Jan
TrickyBlue
Personal terms agreed. €5m plus addons

Sauce?

Pretty much all over Twitter yesterday (James wants to go )
08:28, Thu 4 Jan
Hmmmm twitter. I accept he wants to go, but done deal and personal terms?
Up the feckin Blues
08:29, Thu 4 Jan
Hmmmm twitter. I accept he wants to go, but done deal and personal terms?

No it was just "wants to go" and "agreed personal terms" .... didn't see anything about the club agreeing a fee
08:31, Thu 4 Jan
👍
Up the feckin Blues
08:32, Thu 4 Jan
Thongs
Maybe because he’s only had about 7 decent games, under Rooney or for Wales and was sub for most of his time under JE.
Maybe some potential there but for £4m we should snap their hands off.

Teenager with over 75 club appearances in the second tier.

Under contract to 2026.

Good international performances.

No longer need to sell for cash flow.
09:04, Thu 4 Jan
Not for cash flow, but for FFP if you want any new players this month...
09:05, Thu 4 Jan
foghorn leghorn
Rab C Nesbitt
Unless you choose to do so in a lump sum as it may work out cheaper and benefits both.
Not sure that would benefit us though

In this case it'd make sense to keep paying him, it's incredibly unlikely he doesn't get another job in the next couple of years.

It's better to spread out the payments, rather than give a lump sum. That's quite obvious, but it isn't financially prudent to pay 3 managers, at the same time. (is Bowyer still on the books?)

Paying off surplus managers and their coaches means that they tie up wages that could've been spent on players and that money has to come in from somewhere.

No Bowyer's deal was to summer 2023.
09:07, Thu 4 Jan
I'd rather keep James and not bring anyone in.