10:14, Wed 3 Jan
I had hoped the days of selling our best young players for clearly under market value fees had gone. Hes contracted until 2026, I can’t imagine hes agitating for a move - if this is needed to pay Rooney off within FFP I’ll be really pissed off
10:15, Wed 3 Jan
i'm hoping it was the board wanting to sell him to give Rooney some money for players this window, which may no longer be necessary

not sure anyone will actuallly have been paid off, we are probably just paying their wages for the time being.
10:16, Wed 3 Jan
Iain_Gavin
I had hoped the days of selling our best young players for clearly under market value fees had gone. Hes contracted until 2026, I can’t imagine hes agitating for a move - if this is needed to pay Rooney off within FFP I’ll be really pissed off

We need to keep repeating this- you don't just pay off your manager in one lump sum. He remains under contract until he gets another job. He's just another wage on the book.

You don't need to raise £5m+ of pure profit just to cover a manager sacking.
“Oh Nikola Zigic”

H
Unless you choose to do so in a lump sum as it may work out cheaper and benefits both.
Not sure that would benefit us though
Tony Fantastico
10:19, Wed 3 Jan
Nikola Zigic
If we could get 6-8m I think that'd be fine for me. It's all profit and it's all banked in this year, that creates quite a bit of room for January transfers.

Yes, with the way FFP works selling him if we get a decent bid makes a lot of sense for the club - we could then hopefully get decent options in up front and perhaps pick up a new keeper as well.

I do think it is a shame that the way FFP works means that clubs are incentivised to sell youth products in favour of signing players but it is how it is.
10:19, Wed 3 Jan
And given Rooney will almost certainly have a performance clause I doubt he will be getting all of his money.
Tell you what that crack is really moreish.
Nikola Zigic
If we could get 6-8m I think that'd be fine for me. It's all profit and it's all banked in this year, that creates quite a bit of room for January transfers.

£8-10m and a decent sell on would be okay with me.
Gazball?
Rab C Nesbitt
Unless you choose to do so in a lump sum as it may work out cheaper and benefits both.
Not sure that would benefit us though

In this case it'd make sense to keep paying him, it's incredibly unlikely he doesn't get another job in the next couple of years.
“Oh Nikola Zigic”

H
10:23, Wed 3 Jan
Finchy
I see your point but i'd want more, Scott going for 25m and Hamer for 20m tells me that is still under value.

He's nowhere near the level of those guys, unfortunately.
If we do sell him this window or in the summer I’d be gutted.
He’s just starting to mature and his potential is massively beyond a £10 million price tag.
Don’t do it Blues !!!!
Jude should be front and centre of everything England do in the attacking third of the pitch.
Give him the armband now too ! ( AUG 2023 )
Super Hans
And given Rooney will almost certainly have a performance clause I doubt he will be getting all of his money.
That we don’t know. And no way did they think it would be over in 3 months.
The turnover of managers now though makes 3 or 4 years deals very dangerous
Tony Fantastico
Iain_Gavin

Unfortunately you may be wrong about him not agitating for a move. I think JJ wants it; I think Blues are actually playing hard ball on the price.
10:25, Wed 3 Jan
I don’t blame him, what a fantastic opportunity for him
10:25, Wed 3 Jan
I wouldn't really begrudge it him either, providing we got the money we want.

Atalanta are very well-run and great at spotting talent, there will be opportunities for him to develop and he'll have seen first hand how moving abroad can help youngsters (albeit Jude was a generational talent).

On a wider note, there's a real influx of British and Irish players going over to Italy at the moment. Wonder if they're trying to get them cheap, develop them and sell them back to PL clubs for mega money?
10:26, Wed 3 Jan
El Mayor
Iain_Gavin

Unfortunately you may be wrong about him not agitating for a move. I think JJ wants it; I think Blues are actually playing hard ball on the price.

I know it's only a little thing, but him following them on socials says a lot really.

It's a huge opportunity for the lad, he'd be mad not to fancy it.
“Oh Nikola Zigic”

H