13:39, Thu 4 Jan
He’d be a fool not to take it and I hope he does, for his sake and the club’s. As well as raising much needed immediate funds (plus a sell on, you’d assume) it also gives young, ambitious players another example of why coming to blues can be a very good choice. We need a manager and a director of football who can utilise that to its fullest potential.
13:41, Thu 4 Jan
Yeah, ultimately we just don't know

It's not about the cash anyway, not with Knighthead, it's about the FFP headroom, a figure of 4.5Mish would allow us to pay out say 16M on 4 players at 4M ish a pop on 4 year contracts

Obviously that amortised cost is there each year and there's wages too, but you get my drift, it gives them room to recruit, this is additional FFP headroom they probably hadn't planned for, which may allow us to be slightly more ambitious in the market or accelerate things
Happy Clapper
13:42, Thu 4 Jan
Yew Tree Blue
Agree it’s how we spend it. But it’s peanuts imo.
That’s my problem I guess.
We going to buy a gem from league one for say £1m. ? God I wish

We bought Che Adams for around £2m, and we were still looking at strikers (think of the rumours for Sory Kaba, Andi Zeqiri etc) close to deadline day in the summer, £4.5m up front would give us the potential to do some really good business I reckon, and I do trust our recruitment team at the minute to do so. Only real poor signings we've had are Longelo, Burke and T Roberts, yet none are bankrupting us and we got the vast majority right.
13:47, Thu 4 Jan
Not sure how he'd handle the step up, but imagine we bought in someone like Macaulay Langstaff at Notts County. 26 years old, couple very good goal scoring seasons in national league and league two, wouldn't imagine he'd cost much
13:50, Thu 4 Jan
mjd2505
Not sure how he'd handle the step up, but imagine we bought in someone like Macaulay Langstaff at Notts County. 26 years old, couple very good goal scoring seasons in national league and league two, wouldn't imagine he'd cost much

Might end up at Swansea with their recent appointment
14:17, Thu 4 Jan
Do you think jj's recent purple patch has coincided with the rumours that serie A teams are sniffing around, or is it all down to the opportunity of working alongside WR?
14:20, Thu 4 Jan
JJ was linked with Serie A last season

[www.thesun.co.uk]
14:30, Thu 4 Jan
Wish JJ all the best if he goes, loved watching him this season. Just sad that even with new owners we still end up selling the future again. I understand the FFP thing but we always seem now to sell our best players before we see the true potential at Blues.
14:33, Thu 4 Jan
No it coincided with him being played as a number 8 instead of playing in Bielik’s role or playing on the wing.
14:35, Thu 4 Jan
foghorn leghorn
Do you think jj's recent purple patch has coincided with the rumours that serie A teams are sniffing around, or is it all down to the opportunity of working alongside WR?

Wales appearances probably.
14:45, Thu 4 Jan
No it coincided with him being played as a number 8 instead of playing in Bielik’s role or playing on the wing.

A little from column a and a little from column b then. If it was part of Rooney's master plan, to give himself the financial wiggle room by putting JJ in the shop window, then why didn't Cook have the fortitude and courage to allow Rooney assemble his squad?

A bit of booing and catcalling from the stands caused Knighthead to drop the hammer? I'm confused.

JJ was linked with Serie A last season

[www.thesun.co.uk]

I won't open the sun page, but what were Bologna and Leicester looking to offer for him?
14:51, Thu 4 Jan
foghorn leghorn

Move to 4-3-3 the biggest factor

Not a natural role for him in a 4-2-3-1
...Bologna £2million.....and Marsch was going to get the Leicester job apparently.
14:54, Thu 4 Jan
He is obviously going to turn into a very good player, but I'm not sure he is the world beater some are making out after his purple patch. He is still very raw in places.

If I am totally and brutally honest, it's great to see our academy producing players that are actually worth selling on. I'd be very happy if we promoted one or two players a season that went on to be bought out by premier league clubs, that would help our FFP massively until we are big and ambitious enough to actually hold onto them ourselves.

Which then gives the opposite problem, if the grand plan comes to fruition and we become an established Prem club - would the likes of Jordan James be heralded as the super emerging talents that they are currently, or is it just that they are being compared with mid-Championship level players with their own huge set of flaws?

Not taking anything away from JJ - he has earned his moment in the shop window and I hope any move works out for him, seems a nice kid - but I'm certainly not going to be crying into my chips. Same with Jobe. Looked decent prospect, maybe a move away will bring him on even further.
Would be nice to keep players we have nurtured and developed for a bit, enjoy their performances, but this days are gone.

James had somestick last season, along with Jobe when it was obvious both will go on to become good players.

The reality is that James has had a couple of really good games and is establishing himself as a key player for club and country. Club and country though, are both shit.

His value will shit up when he’s performed consistently at his current level over a season, not a few games.

Blues fans are nutters. Some think 4 million quid is peanuts, but then say we can get 3 good young uns in with the money.