10:31, Wed 3 Jan
It’s a shame if JJ is trying to force a move, but it’s huge opportunity for the kid, I’d be doing the same thing in his shoes.

Get a decent price, let him go with no hard feelings, free up some FFP wiggle room, move on.
10:32, Wed 3 Jan
tbf no-one said he's forcing it, just that he wants it
10:33, Wed 3 Jan
Yeah it does. It certainly shows he's keen.

Didn't he want to go in the Summer. His dad was upset over the preferential Jobe treatment etc?
Mandated as the Poster of Reason - October 2023
El Mayor
Iain_Gavin
I had hoped the days of selling our best young players for clearly under market value fees had gone. Hes contracted until 2026, I can’t imagine hes agitating for a move - if this is needed to pay Rooney off within FFP I’ll be really pissed off

Unfortunately you may be wrong about him not agitating for a move. I think JJ wants it; I think Blues are actually playing hard ball on the price.

Good to hear they are playing hard ball.
Can’t begrudge the kid moving to a huge club like that but we require a fair price, he’s under contract til 2026, let’s see what his market value is.
Amy T
It’s a shame if JJ is trying to force a move, but it’s huge opportunity for the kid, I’d be doing the same thing in his shoes.

Get a decent price, let him go with no hard feelings, free up some FFP wiggle room, move on.

This is the thing, as has already been mentioned on here a fat fee for JJ is pure profit and gives us a fair amount of wiggle room for FFP - especially as transfer fees in are amortised over the length of a deal.

If we've rejected offers and shown we're no pushovers this is a good thing too.
10:34, Wed 3 Jan
his dad tweeted a couple of times along the lines of not being happy about his game time

then until october he was being played out of position and getting a fair bit of stick online

atalanta is a great club, and fair play to him for wanting to move abroad at his age too
10:34, Wed 3 Jan
El Mayor
Iain_Gavin
I had hoped the days of selling our best young players for clearly under market value fees had gone. Hes contracted until 2026, I can’t imagine hes agitating for a move - if this is needed to pay Rooney off within FFP I’ll be really pissed off

Unfortunately you may be wrong about him not agitating for a move. I think JJ wants it; I think Blues are actually playing hard ball on the price.

Do you know what kind of fee blues are asking for?
Gazball?
10:35, Wed 3 Jan
El Mayor
Amy T

This is the thing, as has already been mentioned on here a fat fee for JJ is pure profit and gives us a fair amount of wiggle room for FFP - especially as transfer fees in are amortised over the length of a deal.

If we've rejected offers and shown we're no pushovers this is a good thing too.

👍👍

If we can get 7m of pure profit I’d let the lad go with blessing.
10:35, Wed 3 Jan
Wazball
El Mayor
Iain_Gavin

Do you know what kind of fee blues are asking for?

Nope.
10:36, Wed 3 Jan
My Blue Heaven
I don’t blame him, what a fantastic opportunity for him
Top flight football in a top European league. After what’s happened to Jude who can blame him (not saying he’s that level of course)
Atalanta do need to pay what we want though. But best of luck to him. The sooner we’re the Atalanta nicking teams best young talent the better
Tony Fantastico
10:37, Wed 3 Jan
HackneyBlue
his dad tweeted a couple of times along the lines of not being happy about his game time

then until october he was being played out of position and getting a fair bit of stick online

atalanta is a great club, and fair play to him for wanting to move abroad at his age too

Yes, it is a great opportunity anyway but given how he has been used I wouldn't blame him for being happy to leave - he looked like he had established himself with Rooney but no guarantee a new manager will feel the same way. He might be about to go back to being benched/ out of position again.
10:41, Wed 3 Jan
Yep definitely. Look how much business we did off selling Chong and Jobe which would amount to a fraction of the money we’d hopefully get for James.
Tell you what that crack is really moreish.
10:41, Wed 3 Jan
That's the point in the end. Whatever any of us on here think he is worth what someone else is willing to offer and what Blues are willing to accept determines "market value".

The fee will all be FFP profit but the sell-on could be at least as important too if the club believes he has lots of potential. For example, a £5 million fee with a 40% sell-on clause might benefit Blues more in the long run than say £6 million with a 20% clause.

Despite the Rooney let down, this is an area where I trust our board to get the best outcome they can for the club.

TaylorJay84
let’s see what his market value is.
10:43, Wed 3 Jan
BlueSA
That's the point in the end. Whatever any of us on here think he is worth what someone else is willing to offer and what Blues are willing to accept determines "market value".

The fee will all be FFP profit but the sell-on could be at least as important too if the club believes he has lots of potential. For example, a £5 million fee with a 40% sell-on clause might benefit Blues more in the long run than say £6 million with a 20% clause.

Despite the Rooney let down, this is an area where I trust our board to get the best outcome they can for the club.

TaylorJay84
let’s see what his market value is.

Spot on mate.

Think Cov did it with Gyokeres, think he went for only £11m and they’ve also got something crazy like a 35% sell on fee, and he’s absolutely tearing it up in Portugal, expect him to be in the prem next season.
10:45, Wed 3 Jan
👍