12:43, Thu 4 Jan
My point being if Blues accept say a €5 million offer for him, this clearly is what they are willing to sell him for (whether we as fans like it or not).

Petebaldwin
I’m saying don’t accept an offer less than we’re willing to sell him for.
12:44, Thu 4 Jan
I’d agree in certain instances. However if JJ wants to go ( Top half Serie A club or bottom 6 championship, it’s understandable he’d think former please). Then I’d rather give the new guy the best start and not have this issue on him…… imo
13:06, Thu 4 Jan
United are being linked with an CB from Atalanta for £50m, after giving them £65m in the summer.
13:07, Thu 4 Jan
Yeah fair enough - I think we're essentially arguing the same thing. We've rejected a couple of bids that were too low and it's sounding like Atalanta have upped their offer to something the owners are happy with. In that case, good luck to JJ and thanks for the hard work that has ultimately bagged us some much needed money.

My original point was about selling JJ just because he wants to leave. We should only sell him if it's the right thing for Blues and providing that's the case, I'm completely fine with it.
13:16, Thu 4 Jan
Never has been any point in keeping a player once he has indicated he wants to go.

Just get the best price available and move him on.
13:18, Thu 4 Jan
No hard feelings to JJ at all if he goes, as for the value we get for him - we did good business with the money from Jobe in the summer. If we can replicate that again, perhaps bringing in a striker, a backup left back, maybe a goalkeeper on a loan to buy, it's solid business. As long as we can use the money to improve, and I actually have faith that we can do that
13:18, Thu 4 Jan
The £4.2m reported seems too low, I'm confident that we have only sold for a deal that is right for the club. In Knighthead we trust.
13:20, Thu 4 Jan
Gutted if he goes.
So after the takeover we are still in the same boat as in selling anything that we can, never building around a very good prospect?
I know it’s early days of Wagner & co but it’s depressing. Do we need the money due to ffp ?
Because fee mentioned for jj will not get us much coming in the other way
13:26, Thu 4 Jan
Yes, I'd imagine it's due to FFP. Unfortunately selling our best assets and reinvesting is pretty much the only way we can Improve.

As an example for you I imagine their were lots of Brentford fans gutted when we pillaged them for Dean, Colin & Jota. But it worked out perfectly well for them in the end because they spent that money wisely.

I've no problem with us flogging anyone. It's how we spend the funds we raise that counts.
13:29, Thu 4 Jan
Yew Tree Blue
Gutted if he goes.
So after the takeover we are still in the same boat as in selling anything that we can, never building around a very good prospect?
I know it’s early days of Wagner & co but it’s depressing. Do we need the money due to ffp ?

I think it is different - pre-takeover it was about survival, now it is about selling to improve. FFP encourages clubs to sell youth products, due to how the accounting for transfer fees works.

Midfield is a position we currently have strength in depth in and selling JJ would potentially fund a few incoming players, given we bank the full cost of his sale but only a fraction of the cost of any incoming players' fees. Same as we did in the summer, where selling Chong brought in Laird, Dembele, Roberts, Buchanan and Sanderson.
13:30, Thu 4 Jan
What if we've got a 30% sell on, in exchange for a lower upfront?

The headline fee may be only part of the story.
Birmingham City: coming up with new ways to ruin your weekend since 1875
13:31, Thu 4 Jan
Agree it’s how we spend it. But it’s peanuts imo.
That’s my problem I guess.
We going to buy a gem from league one for say £1m. ? God I wish
13:33, Thu 4 Jan
David Xavis
The £4.2m reported seems too low, I'm confident that we have only sold for a deal that is right for the club. In Knighthead we trust.

Indeed…. When it comes to money I’m confident they know what they are doing

I’ll be honest, if Atlanta had come in after the Albion game….. when JJ wasn’t getting much of a sniff and offered 4.5M I’d have been (more than happy !!! Now less but if he wants go, good luck to him…. It’s a big step up for him, let’s be honest. Moving to a club pushing for CL or Europa at least
13:37, Thu 4 Jan
Yeah, I think the headline figure is too low but they're rarely accurate. They'll be loads of bonuses and things we won't be privy too.

That's my hope too mate, we go out and spend some of the money on a rough young gem and they'll soon be worth 10 million.

Just a matter of trust in the club at the moment.
13:39, Thu 4 Jan
Yew Tree Blue
Gutted if he goes.

We're still suffering from BIHL running the club into the ground. 2 of the 3 years that make up our FFP total were BIHL years and we're still stuck with shit players on big wages... Add to that the costs associated with Rooney (the wages, the lower than expected attendances, the lower than expected interest from sponsors etc) and I'm not surprised that we need to bring some money in to make ends meet.

It's just the nature of the way FFP is worked out but the positive is that things should get easier the further we get away from BIHL's time in charge.