18:42, Tue 19 Mar
Front foot no fear football is finally happening isn’t it??
18:42, Tue 19 Mar
Snoop
mjd2505
I think appointing Rowett means Mowbray may well not even come back - but it could also be that they're saying "look, we don't want you to rush yourself back and be stressed because the team is doing bad, with your blessing, we'll bring in an interim and re-assess at the end of the season".

Don't want to speculate on his health though. Looks like Rowett will be in until the end of the season to take the pressure off Mowbray and we can review the situation in the summer. Imagine unless Rowett does spectacularly, they'll look at appointing another front-foot possession football based manager.

I think even if Rowett does spectacularly, unless it is playing an attacking possession based style, then he has no chance of getting the job long term.

Though, after all the posting in this thread, do we even know exactly what his job is yet?
I have seen it described as interim head coach/consultant - which feels like it could have some clear limits if it is more of the latter.

In the unlikely scenario that he wins 5+ /8 games, I think there will be a shout to get him in. And there's probably something to be said for it. Whether they do it or not I don't know, but I reckon there would be a clamour from fans.

The second part of your message is what worries me though. If we're doing this, he has to be THE authoritative figure. Why would he be a consultant for Venus, that makes absolutely no sense. Just knocking about as a motivator makes no sense. Either we go full Rowett or we don't do it at all in my view. A limited role I think could be disastrous with conflicting views on how to play football and limited authority for his relationship with the players.

He isn’t going to do spectacularly well. At best he’ll have us playing like mean spirited bastards picking up points here and there, most likely more than we need. There’ll be nothing spectacular about it.

"He isn’t going to do spectacularly well. At best he’ll have us playing like mean spirited bastards picking up points here and there, most likely more than we need. There’ll be nothing spectacular about it."

I don't know you know. We had some really good wins under Rowett when it came to it. Some of the best games I recall better than the dross than has followed with odd exceptions some great away days that few seasons.

We also have better players now. He might surprise ya
18:51, Tue 19 Mar
Fat Buddha CBE
He isn’t going to do spectacularly well. At best he’ll have us playing like mean spirited bastards picking up points here and there, most likely more than we need. There’ll be nothing spectacular about it.

What if he does? I think he's a good enough organiser of men to make us solid, and if we're made more solid, I think we have enough quality to nick games.

We've got 24 points from 8 games left to play for. 1.5 points a game is playoffs, I can see him getting 12 points. Don't necessarily think that earns him the job btw - I'm just saying if he gets that or more then more than a few will be calling for him to get the job permanently again.
18:53, Tue 19 Mar
Thank god these fans that would want him back are not going to make that decision eh?
18:54, Tue 19 Mar
NouCamp
oh feck yeah, a return for Gary Gardner

and Scott Hogan....again...desperate times

Johnathan Grounds returned last week...now we know why gaz is getting the band back together.

Next up Stephen Gleeson and Robert Tesche
18:54, Tue 19 Mar
mjd2505
Snoop
mjd2505
I think appointing Rowett means Mowbray may well not even come back - but it could also be that they're saying "look, we don't want you to rush yourself back and be stressed because the team is doing bad, with your blessing, we'll bring in an interim and re-assess at the end of the season".

Don't want to speculate on his health though. Looks like Rowett will be in until the end of the season to take the pressure off Mowbray and we can review the situation in the summer. Imagine unless Rowett does spectacularly, they'll look at appointing another front-foot possession football based manager.

I think even if Rowett does spectacularly, unless it is playing an attacking possession based style, then he has no chance of getting the job long term.

Though, after all the posting in this thread, do we even know exactly what his job is yet?
I have seen it described as interim head coach/consultant - which feels like it could have some clear limits if it is more of the latter.

In the unlikely scenario that he wins 5+ /8 games, I think there will be a shout to get him in. And there's probably something to be said for it. Whether they do it or not I don't know, but I reckon there would be a clamour from fans.

The second part of your message is what worries me though. If we're doing this, he has to be THE authoritative figure. Why would he be a consultant for Venus, that makes absolutely no sense. Just knocking about as a motivator makes no sense. Either we go full Rowett or we don't do it at all in my view. A limited role I think could be disastrous with conflicting views on how to play football and limited authority for his relationship with the players.

Oh, I think there will be calls for him to get the job full time even if he just does a decent job, if the worst happens and Mowbray can't return. I don't think the owners will care though - I haven't seen anything that makes me think they would appoint the wrong man (in their opinion) because there are calls for him to get the job.

I think there is a lot of room to implement it that would work. I doubt he would just be in to get the players geed up for games but I don't think that means he has to have complete control either as long as the roles have been very clearly defined.
18:56, Tue 19 Mar
Fat Buddha CBE
Snoop
mjd2505

It sounds spectacular considering were near the bottom of the league. Picking up points? It'll never catch on.

If he keeps us up and picks up points he should get the job if mowbray can't return. We need a manager and a team that aren't losing most weeks. The last time we had one was ironically under him. Top 10 and flirting with play offs has to be better than watching us struggle every single year.

Once the club has a year or two of being safe and solid then build on it and invest.
18:58, Tue 19 Mar
Fat Buddha CBE
Snoop
mjd2505

It sounds spectacular considering were near the bottom of the league. Picking up points? It'll never catch on.

If he keeps us up and picks up points he should get the job if mowbray can't return. We need a manager and a team that aren't losing most weeks. The last time we had one was ironically under him. Top 10 and flirting with play offs has to be better than watching us struggle every single year.

Once the club has a year or two of being safe and solid then build on it and invest.

Small but pertinent point, we aren’t in a fecking relegation spot.
19:00, Tue 19 Mar
This. If we win half of our remaining games, it will be a spectacular turnaround. We’ve won five of the last 27 league games ffs.
What’s not to like? eff me.
19:01, Tue 19 Mar
I don't miss seeing David Davis play right wing or behind the striker.

Maybe we can bring him back as a coach too.
19:03, Tue 19 Mar
Fat Buddha CBE
Fat Buddha CBE
Snoop
mjd2505

Jesus christ. That is the biggest clutching at straws i have ever seen. We are just about out of it having won barely any games and getting beat most weeks.

If you are fine with where we are and want to use this logic then if rowett gets us above where we are now he will make you really happy.
This. If we win half of our remaining games, it will be a spectacular turnaround. We’ve won five of the last 27 league games ffs.
What’s not to like? eff me.

If we lose all our remaining games it will be rather disappointing. If ScottHogan scores two goals every game for the rest of the season it will be rather pleasing.

Feck off with yer IF’S.
19:04, Tue 19 Mar
Fat Buddha CBE
Fat Buddha CBE
Snoop
mjd2505

Jesus christ. That is the biggest clutching at straws i have ever seen. We are just about out of it having won barely any games and getting beat most weeks.

If you are fine with where we are and want to use this logic then if rowett gets us above where we are now he will make you really happy.

Nutter. End of debate.
20:16, Tue 19 Mar
Snoop
I haven't seen anything that makes me think they would appoint the wrong man (in their opinion) because there are calls for him to get the job.

The appointment of Rooney calkls their opinions into question, somewhat.
They might not appoint someone they think is the wrong person, but their ideas of the qualiries needed are fallible atbest and worryinly uninformed in some ways.