Tam
14:49, Wed 3 Jan
JayDee
There's only a few managers who would put up with a short term contract and also succeed in motivating the team. What would the players think of a temporary manager? Their motivation is crucial to the success on the pitch and selling the club along the lines of "we're plugging the gap to the summer then gonna change it all up" isn't going to attract anyone ambitious or motive Premier League clubs to let us borrow their decent youth talent.

Rooney has been sacked now, whilst there is still a buffer to the bottom three, so that we're not in an even more precarious position and therefore having to attract a manager who's only job it is to diffuse the relegation time bomb. If we do end up doing this then we're losing more than year one of the ten year plan.

We have to look long term and employ someone who we think can do the job for 2-3 years. The players (current and incoming) know what the 'project' is all about, the next manager should be chosen to establish their motivation to be part of it. They might think they're part of the initial phase or if they're good enough to be on board for longer than that, but any decent manager will be able to extract the best out of both types of player. A temporary manager only has one goal, and it's short term all hands on deck type of attitude that'll take months/years to turn around. We can't keep managing this way, like we have for the last 10 years, and need to realise there'll be some painful moments that we simply have to ride out to reach the calmer waters.

Oh yes, I agree. A manager is surely only going to have the drive and ambition to succeed if he thinks that there's a chance, at least, that he's in it for the long haul, to grow things etc. Mind you, at Blues over the past decade, a season is a 'long haul'.
Make Blues Great Again
14:59, Wed 3 Jan
Tam
If we did approach Rowett or Eustace and asked them to hold the fort for a few months, I think they should tell us to eff off
15:00, Wed 3 Jan
You make very good points.

The counterpoint being that this is a mess of their own making. Year 1/10 was sacrificed by Rooney's appointment. Not a stopgap appointment to avoid the drop.

That's the conundrum, as relegation could see the plan abolished all together. Given the choice between staying up with a safer/boring bet vs risk going down under another 'no fear/long term plan' option and I'd have to lean towards the safer bet.

Totally concede your points on it being unattrative to new players and maybe even demotivating the squad, but unless we can secure someone like Cooper I struggle to make a case for another left of field option. Perhaps we can do a Brighton & hire a young, talented but relative unknown who can come in now, keep us up and stay long-term. But how likely is that?
15:01, Wed 3 Jan
BlueWilbur85
Perhaps we can do a Brighton & hire a young, talented but relative unknown who can come in now, keep us up and stay long-term. But how likely is that?

Did someone say Will Still?
15:05, Wed 3 Jan
Tam
There are an array of good coaches/managers out of work at the moment (as well as Rooney).

It's a long old list and we only need one of them.

[www.transfermarkt.co.uk]

I'm backing Ivan Jovanovic for the job. He's very experienced and still has hair (which is apparently on FB's selection criteria).
A lot of money going on Lee Carsley now
Blue since 67 - Will be there at the end of the road, whenever that may be!
15:12, Wed 3 Jan
BlueSA
There are an array of good coaches/managers out of work at the moment (as well as Rooney).

It's a long old list and we only need one of them.

[www.transfermarkt.co.uk]

I'm backing Ivan Jovanovic for the job. He's very experienced and still has hair (which is apparently on FB's selection criteria).

Joachim Low for me
H

Consistently correct.
15:12, Wed 3 Jan
Love a good scratch and sniff.
Tell you what that crack is really moreish.
15:14, Wed 3 Jan
mjd2505
BlueWilbur85
Perhaps we can do a Brighton & hire a young, talented but relative unknown who can come in now, keep us up and stay long-term. But how likely is that?

Did someone say Will Still?

Has anyone said John Mousinho yet?
Gazball?
The best middle ground appointment we can make (assuming Cooper doesn't want it) is Alex Neill.

Everybody seems to be turning their nose up at the idea, but again, excellent track record in the league and would ensure we stay up without the baggage of VR and DVB John.

Worry about the summer in the summer.
Nikola Zigic

Joachim Low for me

That would be awesome, we could have all our coaching staff lined up in front of the dug-outs wearing matching tailored fit formal shirts like a shit boy band at every match.
15:17, Wed 3 Jan
Tam
But it’s all about who’s available as well.

There’s not much choice out there to handpick the perfect fit for the long term Cooper aside.
The first remit has to be to secure safety and not ‘No fear football’.

Rooney was a shot in the dark and the board can’t afford another gamble like Carsley.
Marsche would be turned on by the fans if things didn’t start well.
The most obvious candidate who is proven to do this is Rowett.His stats in the championship are very solid.
15:29, Wed 3 Jan
Scoot Mcgoot
The most obvious candidate who is proven to do this is Rowett.His stats in the championship are very solid.

40% win ratio
15:39, Wed 3 Jan
Our squad is good enough to not get relegated and some of the players are around for a while to come.

I see no benefit in reverting to the turgid style of pragmatic football employed by the sweater wearing, knicker flashing DVB tart.

If we can't get the right person in quickly then we should persist with a caretaker. The next head coach/manager needs to be someone capable of delivering on The Project.