13:18, Tue 16 Nov
Radavis
HackneyBlue
Apart from Vaughan, no-one is denying any allegations.

and 3 people heard Vaughan so not sure why he's denying either.

Yep, and multiple people have admitted it, Ballance being the big one.

Didn't Ballance describe Azeem Rafiq as his 'best mate in cricket'? You could probably use that sentence as the basis for a 1,000 page book on what's wrong with men, England, race relations, life, the universe.
13:46, Tue 16 Nov
Rasputin
Have Yorkshire sacked Ballance yet?

I'd be out the door without my feet touching the floor for what he's done.

I think he’s been banned from playing for England, but nothing about Yorkshire from what I can tell.
13:47, Tue 16 Nov
JohnP
Radavis
HackneyBlue
Apart from Vaughan, no-one is denying any allegations.

and 3 people heard Vaughan so not sure why he's denying either.

Yep, and multiple people have admitted it, Ballance being the big one.

Didn't Ballance describe Azeem Rafiq as his 'best mate in cricket'? You could probably use that sentence as the basis for a 1,000 page book on what's wrong with men, England, race relations, life, the universe.

Ain’t that the truth, although Rafiq hasn’t returned the compliment unless I’ve missed it.
14:22, Tue 16 Nov
Full witness statement from earlier here - [committees.parliament.uk]

Bresnan also in a lot of trouble by the looks of it.

It's also bonkers they have published Rafiq's address
14:25, Tue 16 Nov
Had some surprise on here when I said millions of people held racist views in the UK. We need to face up to it. It’s a bigger problem than most realise. Leave ‘won’ thanks to racists ( and no I’m not accusing all leavers of being racist). Lots of people’s first impressions of someone are based on their skin colour.
I grew up in fairly well populated Pakistani Muslim town, and I’m glad I did. Seems attitudes still aren’t changing quickly enough
Jude Bellingham - "Once a blue, always a blue" “This is my Club, I love the Club to bits. I’d die for this Club”
14:30, Tue 16 Nov
Spike
Hoggard apparently rang him after it all blew up - said he had no idea what had gone on and apologised for not being able to help.

He apologised, but he definitely did know what was going on.

[twitter.com]
14:40, Tue 16 Nov
Lloyd and Hales linked to it as well.
14:54, Tue 16 Nov
I’m surprised that anybody is surprised. There are at least 5 posters on this message board that have been posting negative comments about people of Muslim origin for the last 5 years and are rarely challenged.

It’s a real bore to go to Blues games because you have to stand around the same idiots.

It’s a much broader societal issue, including at Blues. Except at Blues we somehow delude ourselves with the argument that it can’t possibly be an issue because we had a multiracial firm in 1982. People need to get better about challenging people around them (friends, families etc) and calling it out, because right now as a country we’re going backwards on this topic.
14:55, Tue 16 Nov
Blimey, in that case I take back my respect toward Hoggard.

Although Rafiq has accepted the apology (it seems) and at least Hoggard has had the balls to apologise unlike others who have either denied it or can't see the problem as "it was only banter".

As I said before, calling him a "Kaffir" was one of the things that offended me most personally. It's just a shit word, with horrendous connotations.
Holdsworth_MaraSonner
I’m surprised that anybody is surprised. There are at least 5 posters on this message board that have been posting negative comments about people of Muslim origin for the last 5 years and are rarely challenged.

It’s a real bore to go to Blues games because you have to stand around the same idiots.

It’s a much broader societal issue, including at Blues. Except at Blues we somehow delude ourselves with the argument that it can’t possibly be an issue because we had a multiracial firm in 1982. People need to get better about challenging people around them (friends, families etc) and calling it out, because right now as a country we’re going backwards on this topic.
👍👏
Jude Bellingham - "Once a blue, always a blue" “This is my Club, I love the Club to bits. I’d die for this Club”
15:00, Tue 16 Nov
It might well be that Hoggard didn't really understand the word either. He's not the brightest, and no doubt got caught up in the 'lad' culture that was prevalent back in those days.

As you say, at least he had the decency to pro-actively contact him and apologise. That in itself tells you something about Hoggard.

Awful though.
There's too much opinion and not enough fact.
15:03, Tue 16 Nov
It tells me nothing about Hoggard tbh Ian. Rather than being thick , he might just be trying to save his arse. An apology in this situation is really quite hollow
15:05, Tue 16 Nov
Not as hollow as a denial that he said anything.

If we're going to move forward, at all, firstly it takes those that have done wrong to accept it.
There's too much opinion and not enough fact.
15:07, Tue 16 Nov
IanT
It might well be that Hoggard didn't really understand the word either. He's not the brightest, and no doubt got caught up in the 'lad' culture that was prevalent back in those days.

As you say, at least he had the decency to pro-actively contact him and apologise. That in itself tells you something about Hoggard.

Awful though.

Oh come on mate. You’re one of the good guys. Are we really going to write this off as lad culture?

[twitter.com]
15:08, Tue 16 Nov
Yea, both Vaughan and Ballance have written in sympathetic papers defending themselves and in Vaughan's case outright denial.

Hoggard has admitted his mistakes and apologised directly to Rafiq without feeling the need to write a column in a newspaper about it, fair play to him.