17:30, Fri 19 Nov
Radavis
Micky Darrell
Radavis
Micky Darrell
Who knows it as 'woke racism'?

That’s a new one for me. Also a complete oxymoron by definition.

It's an American bloke who has a book out under that title.

He argues that antiracism has gone too far and is dominated by the left.

He accepts that discrimination exists but it isn't racism. That children in schools shouldn't be taught about racism – or at least not too much.

As you say, the title gives him away really.

Thanks for that. It was almost exactly what I expected. And it’s amazing how someone who said BLM should stay in America, is now quoting an American author on this sort of thing.

Who said BLM should stay in America?
17:32, Fri 19 Nov
Micky Darrell
Radavis
Micky Darrell
Who knows it as 'woke racism'?

That’s a new one for me. Also a complete oxymoron by definition.

It's an American bloke who has a book out under that title.

He argues that antiracism has gone too far and is dominated by the left.

He accepts that discrimination exists but it isn't racism. That children in schools shouldn't be taught about racism – or at least not too much.

As you say, the title gives him away really.

Ahh you’re completely right, a black professor who teaches at Columbia University has no right to write a book about racism, because he understands far less about it than the white people who claim outrage whilst never experiencing it.

Gotcha.
mad
17:37, Fri 19 Nov
sopwith
So Jewish members of YCCC should compensate an anti Jew? I doubt if YCCC knew of his racism when they agreed the compensation. I am sure, if his contrition is genuine, that he will now return the money. That's all I ask for.

This is appalling levels of anti-semitism

The mere idea that Jewish people's first thoughts on this are the money that Azeem has quite appropriately been compensated for having to fight for three years.

Also in your earlier post. Why wouldn't Jewish people have wanted to leave Brum as part of what's unfortunately termed 'white flight' but is actually basic socio-economics in the 70's and 80's for the very same reasons other folks did to Solihull and Bromsgrove and Worcester and all the rest of it?

Also I'm offended by your suggestion that Brum is somehow a lesser city and Leeds is somehow still a good city as a result of these patterns of migration. FFS

Would you make the same rancid arguments about Bradford or Leicester?
17:50, Fri 19 Nov
mad
Well he’s probably making it all up, do cricket clubs sell memberships on the basis of religious belief? Are there allocations? Don’t recall being asked my religion when I was member at Warwick, although I fully accept that times change.
17:51, Fri 19 Nov
mad
Haven't read it all.

But Mr Rafuq, who I really admire, shows us all how it is done.

His antisemitism has led to his apology and committ himself to tackling antisemitism.

We all feck it up at times, we all have less knowledge about ethnicities than we could and may hence may be prejudiced.

So, we all have to recognise our mistakes, learn and move in.

Its kind of like working against the grain. Uncomfortable but neccessary. Us white folks as the majority, and with it the power, have a particular responsibility.
17:58, Fri 19 Nov
Holdsworth_MaraSonner
It’s not at all complicated.

Disagree.

For you it's black and white, evidently for many other mere mortals it isn't.
There's too much opinion and not enough fact.
17:59, Fri 19 Nov
Haven't read it all.

His antisemitism has led to his apology and committ himself to tackling antisemitism.

We all feck it up at times, we all have less knowledge about ethnicities than we could and may hence may be prejudiced.

Its kind of like working against the grain. Uncomfortable but neccessary. Us white folks as the majority, and with it the power, have a particular responsibility.

In a nutshell 👍
18:03, Fri 19 Nov
Antonio Gramsci
Haven't read it all.

Absolutely agree. 👍

It's about learning and moving forward.
mad
18:08, Fri 19 Nov
IanT
Holdsworth_MaraSonner

Disagree.

It's just hard. We have to work harder at it. All of us
18:09, Fri 19 Nov
IanT
Holdsworth_MaraSonner

Disagree.

You’re putting words in my mouth Ian. It’s obviously not black and white, nor is it about absolutes. But it’s also not very complicated if people engage their brains a bit.

Let’s summarise the 300+ posts in this thread.

1) try your best not to judge people on the basis of ethnicity, religion or appearance
2) try not to belittle people in a group because you’re in a position of power
3) try not to excuse people of horrible views because they’re old or because ‘society was like that’
4) accept that human beings can learn, develop and change, particularly younger people that make mistakes
5) if people express genuine contrition, take them at face value
6) if you have yourself said something you regret, apologise and try and understand why it caused offence
7) appreciate that the parameters of what is offensive have to be defined by the offended, rather than the offender
8) recognise that whataboutery is almost always being used as a device in order to obfuscate
9) make the assumption that anybody that ever uses the term ‘race card’, ‘woke’ or ‘political correctness gone mad’ is part of the problem
18:13, Fri 19 Nov
I especially like point number 5, I think it's very important if things are going to improve.
I agree it’s not complicated, not for most people, I also agree it’s easy to eff up and we should all be prepared to learn.

I have considered myself to be ant racist all my life, without knowing too much about the nuances of different cultures and religions.

Then the police murdered George Floyd and the BLM movement exploded and I realised I harboured quite a few overt prejudices as well as unconscious biases, and I’m trying to be better
18:21, Fri 19 Nov
I think we all do, we are all just humans and have prejudice and tribalism pretty much hard wired in. As long as we all realise that and try and change, it's pretty much all we can do. It's the buggers who think they don't need to change that are the problem.
18:21, Fri 19 Nov
I especially like point number 5, I think it's very important if things are going to improve.

I disagree with point 5. I’m sorry for hating the Villa and saying nasty things about them.

Do I mean that?