Holdsworth_MaraSonner
The Michael Vaughan redemption tour has started

[www.bbc.co.uk]

‘I didn’t do anything but sorry if people took offence’ blah blah blah blah

Looks fully scripted by a PR clown.
Yeah made him look worse imo. But I’m cynical about anyone apologising so long after the story broke anyway
Jude Bellingham - "Once a blue, always a blue" “This is my Club, I love the Club to bits. I’d die for this Club”
09:04, Sat 27 Nov
👍 Exactly - own it, apologise for it, try to be part of the solution going forward.
mad
10:20, Sat 27 Nov
I think the game needs to promote itself much better and a key component of that is its broadcast element, the commentators are amongst the biggest promoters of the sport to young people who do not grow up in a cricketing household. Hiding the game behind a paywall has meant those people have come to rely on the radio comms or highlights packages. So it is vital that changes are made at that level to make the game genuinely more inclusive. Some significant changes have already occured and it might be a retrograde step to re-introduce dinosaurs to talk and introduce the game to thousands of young people who need to be inspired to take up the game

A genuine apology would have done wonders (mainly for Vaughan's PR...) but this isn't even that

Vaughan isn't even that good a commentator. I think of Vaughan whenever I read this lengthy article from way back about the decline of TV comms in Australia - "The guffaw is king. It’s all about being the matiest mates who ever mated."

[www.theguardian.com]

Well worth a read especially given it is likely we'll be relying on Australian comms this winter on BT Sport. No doubt things have changed over there since 2015 how much is debatable - it's not on Channel 9 anymore which was their version of our BBC's monopolised TV Cricket coverage for several decades but this guy Geoff Lemon does pose interesting ideas of how the intelligence of their cricket comms in the 70's and 80's and early 90's - Benaud, Chappell, Grieg, Jim Maxwell on the wireless, and Bill Lawry - actually helped democratise the sport (generations of Yugoslav, Greek and Italian kids in Melbourne and Sydney the DiVenutos, Pukovskis, Stoinis etc... took up the sport having had little to no parental involvement when their folks moved to Oz in the 60's, 70's, 80's) over there wheras over here it is still the almost exclusive privilege of white upper middle class families and schools (or that is a perception which is just as harmful)

So moving Vaughan (and others) on is almost certainly cleansing for the sport despite the gnashing of teeth we'll see in certain quarters
11:00, Sat 27 Nov
mad
I actually think cricket commentary and punditry is top class compared to any other sport. In my opinion it’s a non-sequitur/ conflation to associate the Vaughan issue with broader issues around cricket and race.
mad
11:05, Sat 27 Nov
Some of it still is yes

One of the very few things I liked about the Hundred was its aim to democratise the sport here in the UK, to bring more diversity into the grounds at Leeds and Birmingham etc...

So the idea that Vaughan could front the coverage of this going forwards on the BBC seems bonkers. Not even the ECB will think it is a tenable proposition to have someone with his past fronting that. In the past they might have parked him on TMS as an occasional contributor like they did with Fred Truman and Geoff Boycott latterly but that won't wash either these enlightened days

He should retire, apologise and tour the world selling his whine/wine
11:24, Sat 27 Nov
mad
I get no joy out of the idea of people losing their livelihoods. I wish Vaughan had apologised properly in which case I’d have been the first to say he deserves a second chance, as would others in a similar situation.

Instead he’s gone down the route of a poorly scripted PR apology and a coalition with Piers Morgan (who’s issuing dog whistle tweets to try and rouse up the Daily Mail letters page).

A sad way to destroy his own long and storied career.
I get no joy out of the idea of people losing their livelihoods. I wish Vaughan had apologised properly in which case I’d have been the first to say he deserves a second chance, as would others in a similar situation.

Instead he’s gone down the route of a poorly scripted PR apology and a coalition with Piers Morgan (who’s issuing dog whistle tweets to try and rouse up the Daily Mail letters page).

A sad way to destroy his own long and storied career.

Surely it shouldn't be about a cull? more about education and as someone said, people like Vaughn owning it and apologising properly (not the mealy mouthed one he's issued). By just sacking these folk it's in a way sweeping it under the carpet - yesterdays news, tomorrows chip paper - if it can be shown that even people like Vaughn can change and mean it, it's a good lesson rather that some kind of revenge? that's how I see it anyway.
mad
12:09, Sat 27 Nov
Agree with this. He's just not a good enough commentator to justify a free pass at this stage for me. Occasionally he uses his perceptiveness gained from his captaincy days but too often his contributions are along the lines of what Geoff Lemon pointed out about Slater, Healy, Warne and Taylor in Oz on Channel 9, 6 years ago.

If he is genuinely contrite he can demonstrate this away from having such a crucial role in the sport - fronting the only live 'cricket' on free to air TV and one of the voices of TMS

His continued presence in such high profile roles would simply compound the damage his ill advised commentary has caused the sport up to now - from mental health with his disgraceful treatment of Trott and diversity perspectives

By all means he can continue public speaking however - nobody is suggesting cancelling him being able to spout his views on a package tour - ala Gladstone Small
12:19, Sat 27 Nov
mad
Can't really argue with any of that either.
12:30, Sat 27 Nov
An interesting read

[wisden.com]
12:37, Sat 27 Nov
Cheers, it's very complicated isn't it?
12:44, Sat 27 Nov
Ray Mac
An interesting read

[wisden.com]

It’s not unethical at all, this happens all the time when a presenter/commentator is facing allegations like this. He hasn’t been found guilty by the BBC at all.

Take him out of the public eye until he’s found innocent or guilty.
Tell you what that crack is really moreish.
mad
12:45, Sat 27 Nov
On a very simple level, Vaughan doesn't have to be an out and out blatant racist for the ECB and BBC to consider him an inappropriate person to front their coverage of a sport trying to repair itself and grow. It is perfectly reasonable for the BBC/ECB to seek to go in a different direction now or at least temporarily

If Vaughan wasn't such a one trick pony and wasn't so wedded to some of his views he might find a fulfilling way to move on himself
17:10, Sat 27 Nov
I don’t know about you, but this guilty until proved innocent business is not a great development for any of us.

The BBC will keep him at arm’s length at best, for fear of appearing to be part of the problem.
17:13, Sat 27 Nov
His historic tweets speak more than any denials