13:28, Mon 27 May
Bluesince62 F.E.A.
I just hope whoever it is, including Neil, they get the full backing of the fans. I'm confident that they will.
The Rooney antagonism from the first game was shit, though of course a lot of that was of the clubs making.
Whoever comes in has a clean slate.

Think it's different this time, no controversial sacking of a generally liked manager, not coming off a 3-1 home win vs the baggies, more time to digest and accept whoever we get in charge if it's an unpopular appointment.

But if we lose the first game 1-0 to Burton then yes, an unpopular choice will turn the crowd quickly.
13:34, Mon 27 May
mjd2505
Bluesince62 F.E.A.
I just hope whoever it is, including Neil, they get the full backing of the fans. I'm confident that they will.
The Rooney antagonism from the first game was shit, though of course a lot of that was of the clubs making.

Think it's different this time, no controversial sacking of a generally liked manager, not coming off a 3-1 home win vs the baggies, more time to digest and accept whoever we get in charge if it's an unpopular appointment.

But if we lose the first game 1-0 to Burton then yes, an unpopular choice will turn the crowd quickly.

Wish I could be more optimistic regarding Neil I honestly do, but he just gives me Karanka vibes, set in his ways, very rigid philosophy wise, prickly bloke most of the time that it won’t take much to turn the crowd if it starts going south.
I’d even say his demeanour is similar albeit ones Scottish & the other Spanish, both are about as upbeat as a Samaritans call centre.
13:41, Mon 27 May
TaylorJay84
mjd2505
Bluesince62 F.E.A.

Wish I could be more optimistic regarding Neil I honestly do, but he just gives me Karanka vibes, set in his ways, very rigid philosophy wise, prickly bloke most of the time that it won’t take much to turn the crowd if it starts going south.
I’d even say his demeanour is similar albeit ones Scottish & the other Spanish, both are about as upbeat as a Samaritans call centre.

Funnily enough, now you've said it, I think scarring from Karanka is what makes me reluctant with Neil. An uninspiring man with a promotion on his CV (I know Neil has more), but no, for me I'd rather not.

Interestingly just listened to the keep right on podcast where they discuss managerial choices from later last week, and Richard Wilford said Challinor is someone blues have actually had their eyes on for a while. Now who exactly had their eyes on him, and whether they're still at the club, I don't know. It's given me a slither of hope we might go down that road.

His football was described by Alex Dicken (who apparently has watched a few Stockport games last season) as exciting, attacking, almost gung-ho it's approach. If that doesn't tickle your pickle, I don't know what will.
14:05, Mon 27 May
If we go for a Challinor type pick, I wonder if the club and Mowbray might be interested in him acting as a mentor or similar role?

Assuming Mowbray is still a way off being able to return to management.
14:09, Mon 27 May
Why would a professional manager need/want/accept a mentor?
14:11, Mon 27 May
Snoop
If we go for a Challinor type pick, I wonder if the club and Mowbray might be interested in him acting as a mentor or similar role?

I don't think Challinor would need it. He has 14 years of managerial experience. I'd agree if we went for a Cole, Williamson sort of route, someone brand new or very new to management. But also not sure Mowbray would take it, I think he deserves time to live with his family up north and re-evaluate later in the year.

Complete sidenote, when's the last time we actually poached a manager from another club?

EDIT: Of course, Gary Rowett from Burton.
14:11, Mon 27 May
TrickyBlue

Enzo Maresca just amassed 98pts and won the league and he’s happy to let Todd Boehly mentor him on how to be a premier league manager 😜
14:12, Mon 27 May
mjd2505
Snoop

I don't think Challinor would need it. He has 14 years of managerial experience. I'd agree if we went for a Cole, Williamson sort of route, someone brand new or very new to management. But also not sure Mowbray would take it, I think he deserves time to live with his family up north and re-evaluate later in the year.

Complete sidenote, when's the last time we actually poached a manager from another club?

Rowett from Burton
Bowyer from Charlton

Both doing considerably well at both clubs too.
14:14, Mon 27 May
TaylorJay84
mjd2505
Snoop

Rowett from Burton
Bowyer from Charlton

Both doing considerably well at both clubs too.

Forgot this one too. I thought it was ages ago when I first asked the question
14:19, Mon 27 May
Has there been any more movement on what's happening or does anyone have any idea when we will announce something?
Pop Pop Bang on the floor...give me them belts back you stole...you bum. And that's it.
14:20, Mon 27 May
Brian Sutherland'
Has there been any more movement on what's happening or does anyone have any idea when we will announce something?

In a word, no. Nothing official or a credible media source since Percy said we've interviewed Alex Neil.
14:40, Mon 27 May
TaylorJay84
mjd2505
Bluesince62 F.E.A.

Nothing wrong with having an opinion mate and you are always consistent and articulate with it.
Suppose as ever, only time will tell 👍
Up the feckin Blues
14:42, Mon 27 May
TrickyBlue

Senior managers in other careers use mentors.

For Challinor it would be access to someone with experience of bigger clubs, better players and higher divisions than has dealt with before.

For Mowbray it would be a low impact way to stay active in football. Just watch videos of the games and have a chat with Challinor for an hour or two every week or so.
14:46, Mon 27 May
I’m not convinced that many of us actually know what an Alex Neil team looks like and are judging him on being a dour Scottish man who got sacked from his last job.
15:02, Mon 27 May
Thrillhouse
I’m not convinced that many of us actually know what an Alex Neil team looks like and are judging him on being a dour Scottish man who got sacked from his last job.

I agree with you 100%. Pre conceived opinions. I think he'd surprise a lot, but we'll see.
Up the feckin Blues